Secretary of State Mike Pompeo shot back against North Korea on Sunday, saying the regime's criticism that USA negotiators acted in a "gangster-like" way during his two-day visit to Pyongyang was unfounded.
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Saturday said the Trump administration considered the meeting "very important" as the "first senior-level face-to-face meeting" between Pyongyang and Washington since June's DPRK-U.S. summit.
But following talks on Sunday between us envoy Sung Kim and North Korean counterparts, this "CVID" language appears to have disappeared from the State Department lexicon.
Despite the obstacles, Pompeo said on Saturday that progress had been made in the talks."These are complicated issues but we made progress on nearly all of the central issues", Mr. Pompeo said before departing on Saturday. "But expectation and hope of ours were so naive as to be foolish", read the statement.
"We expected that the U.S. side would come with productive measures conducive to building trust in line with the spirit of the North-U.S. summit and (we) considered providing something that would correspond to them", the spokesman said.
And he said some progress had been made towards agreeing "the modalities" of North Korea's destruction of a missile facility. "There are things that I have to clarify".
"And to our North Korean friends, I can't say the word friend yet".
Pompeo, who was in Tokyo to brief his Japanese and South Korean counterparts on the talks, brushed aside the characterisation, saying discussions were continuing in "good faith".
Mr Pompeo said there was still a lot of work to do, but he was confident the North Korean leader would stick to a commitment to abandon nuclear weapons he made during a summit with US President Donald Trump in Singapore last month.
Pompeo also said that there would be a meeting next week about the repatriation of remains of American soldiers killed in the Korean War.
After Pressure Campaign, President Trump Announces Scott Pruitt's Resignation As EPA Head
He was confirmed by the Senate on February 17, 2017, on a 52-46 vote, the most recorded "no" votes of any EPA administrator. Mr Pruitt's resignation is the latest in a long list of White House departures since Mr Trump took office a year ago .
However, the spokesman said the USA had come up with a variety of "conditions and excuses" to delay a declaration on ending the war.
"Secretary Pompeo's visit to Pyongyang this time has taken the first steps", she said.
"We now have a meeting set up for July 12 - it could move by one day or two - where there will be discussions between the folks responsible for the repatriation of remains".
Speaking on NBC's "Meet The Press", Blunt, R-Mo., said that while he doesn't think the president in naïve about his dealings with Kim and is optimistic that some sort of denuclearization deal can be worked out between Washington and Pyongyang, he noted that it was a mistake to give up military drills with Seoul.
As the day began, Pompeo left the compound to go to a location where he could make a secure call to Trump away from potential surveillance, then returned to restart talks at around 9:00 a.m. (0000 GMT, 8:00 am in Manila).
Trump had dubbed Kim "Rocket Man" past year, in reference to repeated North Korean missile tests.
There was no immediate explanation of what needed to be clarified, but the two sides have been struggling to specify what exactly "denuclearisation" would entail and how it could be verified to the satisfaction of the United States.
Pompeo responded that he had slept "just fine" but the exchange suggested tougher talks ahead.
Also high on the agenda is the issue of the remains of USA soldiers missing from the 1950-53 Korean War.
Pompeo was asked about the CD earlier by a journalist accompanying him to North Korea; the secretary of state laughed but did not confirm or deny the report.
So North Korea is stalling on even the simplest promise made last month.