Uber loses licence in another British city

Adjust Comment Print

Uber's licence in Brighton will not be renewed the council announced on Tuesday.

The panel cited concerns over a data breach in which Uber customers' personal details were leaked, and the number of Uber drivers who were not licensed in Brighton but were operating in the city.

"These formed the basis of the decision to not renew the licence", the council said of the "unanimous decision" which was made following a hearing on April 23.

Uber is planning to appeal.

Uber's licence renewal was also rejected by the Transport for London in September over the company's operational practices, including the failure to report serious criminal offences and its use of so-called "Greyball" software, which was said to have helped the company evade regulatory investigations.

Cubs slip past Rockies in series opener
Roark (2-2) allowed two runs on six hits, struck out four and induced two double-play grounders for his first win since April 2. After Ian Desmond flied out, Charlie Blackmon blooped an RBI single into center and Arenado hit a tiebreaking double.


Uber has just lost its licence in Brighton.

When UBL first applied to operate in the city in 2015, it gave a "firm commitment" to adhere to the council's Blue Book taxi guidelines, and to only use Brighton and Hove licensed drivers, she said, adding the panel did not feel the spirit of the commitment had been honoured. "We intend to appeal so we can continue serving the city" a spokesman said.

In a statement, Uber confirmed it would appeal the decision and the company has 21 days in order to do so. However, such "cross-border" working has become a growing issue with ride-hailing services such as Uber. The council also pointed to a rush of licence applications in nearby Lewes, after a comparison page was publicised on Uber's website. Brighton follows London and York in revoking an Uber license to operate.

Jackie O'Quinn, the chairwoman of the council panel, said the decision was...

Uber paid a hacker $100,000 to delete the stolen personal details of 57m worldwide customers and drivers in October 2016, which then-chief executive Travis Kalanick and chief security officer Joe Sullivan chose to keep secret from the app's users.

Comments