The Supreme Court on Wednesday dismissed as many as 32 intervention applications in the Ayodhya Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri dispute case.
While the Muslim body insists the land belongs to it because a mosque was built on it, the Hindu organisation is adamant that it was the birthplace of Lord Ram and as such, calls for the building of a Ram temple there. It rejected all interim pleas of unrelated people seeking intervention as parties in the matter.
Media reports said on Wednesday that there were over 30 intervention applications filed in the case, including those by filmmakers Aparna Sen and Shyam Benegal and activist Teesta Setalvad.
With its order of dismissal of the intervention applications, the SC trimmed the dispute to strictly between those who were parties to the suits before Allahabad High Court.
In the last hearing in February, the apex court had said that it will treat the case as a pure land dispute and refused the appellants' plea for day to day hearing.
More Countries May Be Exempted From Steel And Aluminum Tariffs
Later this week, Trudeau is due to visit the Ontario steel city of Hamilton, where workers are on edge. The only countries temporarily exempted are Canada, Mexico and Australia so far.
The Court, however, refused to oblige him or anybody else to expand the scope of the case before it and ordered his application right to worship converted into a writ petition to be heard by an appropriate Bench. Swamy had filed a petition saying that his right to worship at a religious place was greater than the right of property.
On December 6, 1992, the Babri Mosque standing on the disputed land was demolished by lakhs of karsevaks who had gathered at the site from across the country at the instance of the RSS outvit Vishwa Hindu Parishad and BJP then led by its patriarch Lal Krishna Advani, who had even gone on a Padyatra (road show) in 1990 in support of the Ram Temple at the site. The apex court stayed this decision in 2011.
A special bench of the top court headed by CJI Misra had earlier asked both the parties before the Allahabad High Court to file the English translation of documents exhibited by them. The court has fixed the matter for further hearing on 23 March.
The petitions before the judges relate to the 2010 verdict of the Allahabad High Court in the title suit that had been pending for almost six decades.
A three-judge bench of the Allahabad HC, in a 2:1 majority ruling, had in 2010 ordered that the land be partitioned equally among three parties - the Sunni Waqf Board, the Nirmohi Akhara and Ram Lalla.