Reasons why not to give your dog a bone

Adjust Comment Print

The FDA has issued an alert to dog owners over "bone treats" after receiving dozens of complaints of injuries - and even death.

"Giving your dog a bone treat might lead to an unexpected trip to your veterinarian, a possible emergency surgery, or even death for your pet", veterinarian in the Center for Veterinary medicine Carmela Stamper said.

The products listed are said to possibly contain ingredients such as preservatives, seasonings, and smoke flavors and may be dried through a smoking process or by baking.

Some of the illnesses reported by owners and veterinarians include gastrointestinal obstruction, choking, vomiting, diarrhea, cuts and wounds in the mouth or on the tonsils, bleeding from the rectum, and/or death.

"Giving your dog a bone treat might lead to an unexpected trip to your veterinarian, a possible emergency surgery, or even death for your pet", veterinarian Carmela Stamper said in a statement.

Black Friday 2017 was the Most Successful in PlayStation's History, Exec Says
New owners and longstanding fans alike will be looking forward to seeing how things unfold. Finally, he said that Sony is just beginning its adventure in the world of virtual reality.


These reports from the FDA involved 90 dogs.

The Food and Drug Administration is warning dog owners to think twice about stuffing your pet's stocking with dog bones over the holidays.

Consult with your veterinarian about toys or treats that are best suited for your dog. Be careful to keep platters our of reach when cooking or eating.

Watch what you throw away: dogs can get into the trash and retrieve something that isn't healthy for them.

Supervise your dog when it's chewing on a treat. There are many available products made with different materials for dogs to chew on.

Comments