Island News obtains 1-on-1 interview with Hawaii State Hospital escapee

Adjust Comment Print

He was diagnosed as a sadist and necrophiliac who had fantasies of killing women.

"The incident is under investigation and details about a patient's status are restricted by state and federal privacy laws specific to individuals receiving mental health and substance abuse treatment", the department said earlier in a statement.

Wayne Tashima, a Honolulu prosecutor who argued in 2015 against Saito receiving passes to leave the hospital grounds without an escort, called Saito a "very unsafe individual", adding after the escape that he was concerned that Saito could commit the same "very heinous and violent offense" again.

Saito was arrested at around 8:30 a.m. HST Wednesday, after almost three days on the run.

Seven hospital staffers were placed on unpaid leave amid an investigation into the incident, state health officials said.

He arrived in California on Sunday night, two hours before the State Hospital informed police that he was missing.

Pressler says the escape was a major breakdown of staff protocols.

More than a dozen escapes have occurred over the past eight years at a Hawaii psychiatric hospital where a patient described as risky walked off the grounds and made it to California before he was captured this week. On Wednesday, he said he called a cab and asked the driver to take him back to Walmart so he could exchange it. "Authorities should have been notified much, much sooner".

State Attorney General Douglas Chin described Saito as "dangerous", and issued a $500,000 bench warrant on November 14 for his arrest, charging him with felony escape.

Saito was committed to the Hawaii State Hospital in 1981 after he was acquitted.

CBI arrests SP over Himachal custodial death
Sources said the CBI is seeking voice samples as the officials have got hold of some call recordings in the custodial death case. Sources said the officials visited the Bankuffar area on Tuesday and questioned two of the accused now out on bail.

The evaluation said the other three were reportedly with hospital staff members.

The Attorney General's office said it plans to make the case that Saito is not suffering from a mental defect, reported the Star-Advertiser.

Authorities said that Saito had chosen a woman at random in 1979, shot her in the face with a pellet gun and stabbed her, KGMB reported.

He wouldn't say who helped him in the escape. He was arrested in Stockton at about 10:30 a.m. PT this morning, the San Joaquin County Sheriff's Office said, "as the result of a tip received from an alert taxi cab driver".

The department posted a photograph on social media showing Saito surrounded by three deputies at a gas station.

Saito said that afterwards, he planned to go to Reno, Nevada, but he did not have a reason for going there.

Honolulu CrimeStoppers Sgt. Chris Kim says he was notified that Randall Saito was apprehended Wednesday.

Yamashiro was shot and repeatedly stabbed before her body was found in her auto at a mall. There, he got on a flight to California. He boarded another plane from there, according to the Honolulu Police Department.

The escape prompted calls for a review and changes by Hawaii's governor. He did not disclose how he got the ID's or the $6,000 he collected that funded the flights. Saito was able to board a commuter plane to Maui, then flew to San Jose before ultimately making his way to Stockton. By the time hospital officials informed the police - just after 7:30 p.m., said Michelle Yu, a spokesperson for the Honolulu Police Department - he had been in California, which is two time zones ahead, for two hours.

Deputy U.S. Marshal Frank Conroy said several anonymous hotline and investigative tips pointed law enforcement to the city of Stockton.